Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Elk in My Back Yard!

Around 10pm last night 2-3 bull elk made their way through my yard, headed for higher ground and probably chasing a mob of cows. As far as I can tell, the rut is getting started and these boys were looking for some ungulate companionship.

Hearing these guys bugle so loudly, so close to the house made my day! (night?) I've lived in the high country, in what I would consider prime elk territory, for almost 10 years. In that time I've never had any elk in my yard, let alone heard them bugle so loud and so strongly.

I should have known something was about to happen when I saw a cow elk swimming in the lake earlier in the evening. I have no idea why she was there or where she was going, but it was another first for me as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Must be nice to have em right in your back yard, great pics.