Friday, September 22, 2006

A Good Day on the Range

I went to the Green Mill Sportman's Club yesterday with my buddy to help him sight in his new rifle. He's got a Remington 700 BDL in 300 WinMag. I've got a Remington 700 Mountain DM in 30-06, pictured above. After shooting my buddy's rifle a few times I can tell you that I am SO happy I got the Mountain version in the 30-06. At a pound lighter and less kick, I know I bought the right rifle for me.

Before we left for the range my buddy asked me if I thought we should stop at the store and pick up another box of ammo. You see, this was the first time he'd shot his 300 WinMag rifle and he had no idea how much kick (a.k.a. punishment) he was in for. I assured him that one box was plenty and I'd be surprised if he shot every round. He wasn't sure of my advice until the first time he pulled the trigger. My buddy's no small guy, so he figured he could withstand any beating the rifle could dole out. After 4-5 shots he looked at me and said "o.k., now I see your point".

The best part of the experience, besides shooting my buddy's gun better than he did at 200 yards, was putting a few in the black at 200 yards from a kneeling position with my own rifle. I've been a little nervous that my shooting skills were not up to snuff to be going out for the hunt. After yesterday I feel the most confident I've ever felt. Does this mean that practice is over? Heck no. I've still got a couple of boxes I want to fire off before heading into the woods. At least now I know they won't be wasted. Hunt on!

No comments: